title="Colnbrook with Poyle Parish Council in Berkshire">

Local HistoryFri, 26th May 2017

Local History

 

Colnbrook

Colnbrook is a village in the unitary authority of Slough, in Berkshire, England. It has formed part of the Colnbrook with Poyle parish since 1995, previously having been part of Iver parish in Buckinghamshire.

Colnbrook forms part of the Windsor constituency, and thus its local Member of Parliament is Adam Afriyie (Conservative).

Mentioned in William the Conquerors Doomsday Book, Colnbrook sits on a tributary to the main Colne river hence "Colnbrook". Coaching inns were the village's main industry. In 1106 the first one was founded by Milo Crispin, named "The Hospice" (now the Ostrich Inn). By 1577 Colnbrook had no fewer than ten coaching inns. Colnbrook's High Street was on the main London to Bath road and turn off point for Windsor and was used as a resting point for travellers. One 17th century landlord Jarman of the Ostrich Inn installed a bedside trap door in one of the bedrooms, and 60 of his richer clients were dropped into a vat of boiling water. Their bodies were then disposed of in the Colne River. Jarman was hanged for robbery and murder.

The Ostrich Inn was recently a focus of a supernatural TV program on Sky Television because of its resident ghosts. Many members of staff over the years have had experiences with the ghosts which tend to locate themselves in the restaurant in the upstairs of the Inn next to where the original murders took place.

Colnbrook is also the place where Cox (a retired brewer) first grafted the Cox's Orange Pippin at his orchard named The Lawns.

Poyle

Poyle is a Hamlet of Colnbrook  in the unitary authority of Slough, in South East England.

It is situated immediately west of the M25 motorway and 16.8 miles (27 km) west of Charing Cross.

The village lies within the traditional borders of Middlesex and from 1930 formed part of the Staines Urban District which was transferred to Surrey in 1965. From 1974 it formed part of the borough of Spelthorne.

In 1995 it became, along with Colnbrook in Buckinghamshire, part of the Colnbrook with Poyle parish of the borough of Slough in Berkshire.

Poyle once had a railway connection, the S&WDR (Staines & West Drayton Railway) having the two stations Poyle Halt and Poyle Estate Halt. Poyle Halt (for Stanwell Moor) was the earlier of them, being opened in 1927, with Poyle Estate opened in 1954. Both lasted only for 80 years, passenger services being withdrawn on March 29, 1965. Full traffic (goods also) was withdrawn in 1981.

Poyle has a high volume of industrial estates primarily serving the Heathrow market. These estates are Britannia Trading Estate, Mckay Trading Estate, Trident Industrial Estate, Colne Trading Estate, Skyway Trading Estate, Poyle Industrial Estate.